Tuesday 10 May 2016

Things Learned.

Things learned: 

1. You are not your ministry. 
You are a child of God.
2. You are not your culture. 
You are a child of God. 
3. You are not your busyness. 
You are a child of God. 

When we realize that all of our identity, our self-worth, and our existence is based on the fact that we are children of God, created in his image, we become more of the people we're meant to be. When we're more of the people we're meant to be, we can love people better. What ministry really boils down to is loving people better, not seeing people as projects to complete.

We are so much more than our patterns of thinking and acting. We are more than our culture. We are human. Our common humanness displays our common neediness for Jesus. When we can get past our cultural awkwardness and see that common humanness life simply gets better and lighter. The pressure's off and we can work together.

As I leave my internship in Mexico behind I am filled with gratefulness that God allowed me to become more of the person he created me to be. When I became this person I had more impact than what I would have, had I still relied on my own strength and resourcefulness. Instead of running around worrying what I am doing for God, I can rest in the fact that Jesus has done everything for me on the cross. I can dance freely with my Creator. 

I am more than my ministry, more than my culture, and more than my busyness.

Mexico has also taught me how to speak Spanish, how to properly eat a taco, how to cross a street without getting ran over, how to take an uber, how to take a bus, how to become a masterchef, how to be really good at charades, how to barter, how to window shop for motorcycles, how to make salsa, how to bucket shower, and many other things.

I am grateful.
I am content.


 The Vargas family and I
Last glimpse of GDL


No comments:

Post a Comment