Wednesday 8 May 2013

Olivia

I was sitting across from little Olivia. She was scared. But not of lions, tigers and bears-oh my! but of Hell. But of dying and going to Hell. And what was I to do? I had already told her that Jesus saves. That God loves her so much that He sent Jesus to die to save her from separation from Him, and if she believed in Him and told Him that she was sorry for her sins and followed Him she could be saved. But still, every night- fear. She didn't want to be a Christian. Her reason- "I don't think my parents would like that." "Maybe God wants to use you to tell your family about Him, about how much He loves them," I said. Still, "I don't think my Mom would like that."

I looked into those fearful eyes and she was crying. What else are you suppose to say to that little heart? One that is so scared of Hell, but so scared of losing her family's love?
I'm sure I could have said a thousand things then. Evangelists every where probably cringed when I said, "Let's go brush our teeth."  The conflict was left unresolved.

But we can only plant seeds. It is God that makes them grow.

And sometimes I feel like Olivia, like I know what God wants me to do, but I'm scared. I'm scared of what everyone will think if I do it.
And how God's heart must break when we do that to ourselves.

And one day, maybe I'll hear about little Olivia. About how she loves God with all of her everything and how her family loves Him too.
Maybe one day she won't be scared. And that will be a happy day.
And one day, maybe I'll stop caring what everyone will think if I just do what I know God wants me to do.
Maybe one day I won't be scared. And that will be a happy day.
And how God's heart must rejoice when we turn and follow Him.

Luke 15:4-7 "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbours together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nice righteous persons who do not need to repent."

No comments:

Post a Comment